Tuesday 7 August 2012

One year...

It has been 1 year already.

1 year since I woke early that morning, cried over silly things getting ready, prayed in Jesus Name that the sun would make an entrance by the time our hour came, turned while my mama put on the necklace he bought for me, held my breath while they tied my dress, sped like crazy people to be only 15 minutes late...



1year since I got out of the truck, fixed my dress, held the arm of my dad and looked up through my veil to see him there waiting for me...



1 year since I walked carefully in my sought out saddle-oxford heels down the grass isle between the bails of hay where many of our loved ones sat shining as they watched. Slowly, row by row, they stood as I passed until they all stood behind us and I stood before him with Dad on one side, Mom on the other and our Heavenly Father beaming down on us through the rays of the sun that made it's entrance just in the nick of time.



I don't remember much of that day but I remember him. I remember our eyes glistening and our cheeks burning from the continuous smiles and giggles shared. I remember hearing his voice and the promises we vowed. I remember the shaking of his hand as the thin, shimmering band was slipped on my finger and how beautiful his hand looked as I put a band of strong metal over his. I remember the cool water on my feet as he knelt before me in an initial act of servanthood. I remember him saying "Husband and Wife" for the first time, his lips touching mine and knowing that he was it and I was glad.



This one year has been the hardest year of my life. We have lost friends and loved ones all while we have gained new ones. We have been scrutinised and accused but He has provided so many more who actually know us to come along side and support, pray and hold us to our word. We have fought hard but have determined to work through. In one year we have been learning to love ourselves through His eyes, we have been learning to fall deeper into love with each other through building our friendship, and most importantly we have been learning what it means to serve Him in loving and serving each other.



I never knew so much could come of 1 year. I never imagined how sweet it would feel to be held in his arms on the eve of our anniversary and remind each other of the words we spoke one year ago.




Bradley,
I love you. Today I choose to stand before you and willingly pledge myself to you under the headship of our Lord and Saviour.
You are my elect. The one that I have prayed for every day of my growing up years . I thank God for you. Not because you are perfect but because you have demonstrated to me what it means to love, to cherish, to challenge, to laugh, to follow, to trust, to grow, to persevere and to serve. You teach me these things not because you are perfect at accomplishing them but because you are not afraid to admit when you haven’t – nor are you afraid to let me know that I too fail at times. Thank you for your strength and for your tender patience.

I pledge today to be with you in all walks of life: To support, respect and honour you, to be faithful to you as unto the Lord, to hold you as you cry and to laugh with you as hard as we can for no reason at all. I choose to come to you when I’m broken and also share with you every joy.

I desire to serve you with my whole heart as we faithfully seek the Fathers will for both our lives together as well as for the lives of our children. Thank you for letting me love you and for letting me love those two precious gifts called Avery and Seth.

I vow to you today to love you even if it means loving imperfectly. To respect your leadership in our home and to come along side of you as we seek the Father’s good and perfect will for our life together. My prayer is that it will be my choice everyday for the rest of our lives on this earth.


Jessica,
I look at you standing here before me in pure amazement that this day has come at last.  I am so thankful to God for you as now the next chapter in our life has now begun in earnest.  Of all the things in my life that I have learned, the few things that have staid with me throughout would be these simple values that I have held dear in my heart and would love to share them with you as they are what binds us together today. 

Loyalty, I will be loyal and faithful to you and only you throughout the rest of my life on earth. Duty,  I will as your husband provide for you, protect you and love you.
Respect, I will listen when you ask me to, be proud of your accomplishments, and heed your advice when you give it
Selfless Service, I will put your needs above my own, thinking of you first and myself second without expectation.
Honor, I will watch my actions, and my thoughts to show you everyday that you are the only woman that I love and adore forever.
Integrity, I will put action into my words to show you that my word is true and to build a trust that cannot be shaken, especially during the trying times.
Personal Courage, I will always be upfront and honest with you, I will not hide anything from you.

These 7 values are what I will strive for, these are what I was required to uphold as a Sergeant in the United States Army.  The 7 values are an acronym, which spells leadership, and as individuals become a team in the army so too you and I go from individuals to becoming a team.  As we become one I want you to know that God will always be at the head of our union.  He will be honoured and glorified everyday, for a house built on the rock will never crumble.  As God is my witness, this I promise to you today.  I love you Jessica.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing musings from your heart...